Diet Soda has Zero Calories! It can be helpful to quench the sugar cravings for the diabetic population and those on a weight loss journey. But how much of it is too much? Are there any negative impacts of diet coke?
Diet versions of Coke, Pepsi, Sprite etc are called “DIET” because, it contains nearly ZERO calories and it does not add on to the total calorie intake.
If that is the case, why is diet coke sweet? Isn’t that sugar?
Well, that ain’t sugar! Diet versions of carbonated drinks comes with artificial sweeteners such as Sucralose, Aspartame, Saccharin etc that are nearly ZERO in calories, but is sweet!
Read about Artificial Sweeteners here – https://nuvovivo.com/blog/artificial-sweeteners-how-safe-are-they/
Diet coke Ingredients (As given in the Coca-cola Website) –
- Carbonated Water
- Colour (Caramel E150d)
- Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K)
- Natural Flavourings Including Caffeine, Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid
- Contains a Source of Phenylalanine
Diet Soda was initially introduced for the diabetes population, but caught on to the weight loss junta too – thanks to the ZERO calorie tag.
Is Calories everything?
For sure, the calorie balance decides if you gain or lose weight and Diet coke DOES come handy there. However, diet versions of soda has some negative impacts too and here are they –
- Diet Soda comes with hardly any nutrient value. It is nothing other than carbonated water with caffeine and some artificial sweeteners.
- The artificial sweeteners in Diet Soda may increase cravings for sugary foods in some people. That said, for few others, diet soda infact helps to satisfy their sugar cravings
- Even after artificial sweeteners, the body produces insulin that slows down the fat-burning procedure. This, however, is a highly contentious & debated topic; the research studies on this is mixed
- There is also a huge debate about the artificial sweeteners causing Cancer. However, there is no conclusive evidence for this claim yet and is still debated
- Diet soda may cause tooth decay and dental enamel erosion because of its acidic pH level. This is because of the citric or phosphoric acid that is added as flavours
- Yet another concern is the caffeine content in soda. Caffeine, while in smaller quantities can help in keeping yourself alert, excessive amount of caffeine may not be a great idea. Read more here – https://nuvovivo.com/blog/caffeine-helpful-or-harmful
Aren’t artificial sweeteners cancerous?
In 1970s, in a study, Saccharin – an artificial sweetener was given to Rats in excessive quantities . And it was found that the rats get cancer.
here is that study – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1637197/
(i) This was not replicated in human beings. not everything dangerous to rat is dangerous for human beings and vice-versa
(ii) The rats were administered HUGE amount of saccharin. To get artificial sugar of that quantity, one has to drink 800 cans to match the amount given to rats
Saccharin was eventually banned in USA after the study. and all artificial sweeteners were thus considered bad.
However, saccharin was eventually reintroduced in US market following the debate
The FDA of USA, Europe, and many other countries have studied the artificial sweeteners and okayed their use in prescribed quantities.
The carcinogenic effect of artificial sweeteners is not conclusively proven yet.
But that said, I will stay away from having diet coke too often.. but wouldn’t mind having one, once in a blue moon. In-fact the polluted air outside is perhaps more carcinogenic than having one diet coke in a month 🙂 (My opinion and anecdotal)
More literature, if you are interested in reading ..
Diet Soda has zero calories and can help some of you control your sugar cravings. It is helpful for those who are diabetic and/or is on a weight loss journey, yet enjoy something sweet.
If diet coke does not make you crave for more sugary food, then Diet coke is ok to have, once in a while.
WhatsApp us at 9972055585 for online health & fitness needs. Manage Diabetes, Cholesterol, PCOD, Thyroid, Fatty Liver etc, through lifestyle changes
Published : email@example.com - 03/01/2020
Corona causing anxiety & depression?
“Where ever you go, I’m there – Gadha Jam!” All malayalees are familiar with the above movie dialogue, from the famous Mohanlal movie – “Vandanam” Well, Corona seem to…
Oil & fat types!
Did you know which oil should you be having? 1) Oil is always a mix of different types of fat 2) Scientists are divided on the health impact of saturated…
What is clean eating? Is clean eating a myth?
Latest buzz word among the health conscious people is – “Clean Eating” What exactly is clean eating? Will clean eating help you to become healthy and fit? Clean eating, in…