The amount of energy (calories) that your body needs (burns) in a day is a combination of exercise activity + non-exercise activity + metabolic activity. The non-exercise part of the energy spend is technically know as NEAT.
NEAT or Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is the amount of energy (calories) spend for everything we do, when we are not sleeping🛌or exercising . It is a substantial part of your total calorie expenditure in a day and hence very important in obesity management too!
All the work that involves walking around such as that of a nurse, trainer, teacher etc involves a reasonable amount of energy spent as NEAT. Here are a few methods to improve your NEAT, if you have a sedentary / desk job-
1) Take the stairs instead of taking the lift, as much as possible
2) If you are talking on the phone for a longer duration, get up and start walking up & down in the room, instead of sitting in a chair and talking
3) Schedule a ‘moving-around’ break for 5 mins, if your job involves sitting somewhere for a longer duration
4) Avoid escalators in the malls and airport, metro/railway stations. Instead, take the steps
5) Shop for the groceries, by yourself instead of ordering through an app or getting it done by a help
You can also use an activity tracker like pedometer to track the steps count.
Published : email@example.com - 02/26/2020
Corona causing anxiety & depression?
“Where ever you go, I’m there – Gadha Jam!” All malayalees are familiar with the above movie dialogue, from the famous Mohanlal movie – “Vandanam” Well, Corona seem to…
What is clean eating? Is clean eating a myth?
Latest buzz word among the health conscious people is – “Clean Eating” What exactly is clean eating? Will clean eating help you to become healthy and fit? Clean eating, in…
Oil & fat types!
Did you know which oil should you be having? 1) Oil is always a mix of different types of fat 2) Scientists are divided on the health impact of saturated…