The amount of energy (calories) that your body needs (burns) in a day is a combination of exercise activity + non-exercise activity + metabolic activity. The non-exercise part of the energy spend is technically know as NEAT.
NEAT or Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is the amount of energy (calories) spend for everything we do, when we are not sleeping🛌or exercising . It is a substantial part of your total calorie expenditure in a day and hence very important in obesity management too!
All the work that involves walking around such as that of a nurse, trainer, teacher etc involves a reasonable amount of energy spent as NEAT. Here are a few methods to improve your NEAT, if you have a sedentary / desk job-
1) Take the stairs instead of taking the lift, as much as possible
2) If you are talking on the phone for a longer duration, get up and start walking up & down in the room, instead of sitting in a chair and talking
3) Schedule a ‘moving-around’ break for 5 mins, if your job involves sitting somewhere for a longer duration
4) Avoid escalators in the malls and airport, metro/railway stations. Instead, take the steps
5) Shop for the groceries, by yourself instead of ordering through an app or getting it done by a help
You can also use an activity tracker like pedometer to track the steps count.
Published : [email protected] - 02/26/2020
Fibromyalgia – Diet, Exercise & Management
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain disease that affects millions worldwide. Women are more…
Jan 31, 2023
Don’t Let H-Pylori Ruin Your Digestive Health: Here’s What You Need to Know!
H. pylori (Helicobacter pylori) is a type of bacteria that can infect the…
Jan 26, 2023
Aerobic vs Anaerobic Exercises: Which is Best for You?
Which exercise is best for you? That really depends on a few factors…
Jan 25, 2023
Ashwagandha – Muscle gain, testosterone, benefits & side effects
Ashwagandha is a herb commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine. It is also known as "Indian ginseng" due to its supposed abilit...
Jan 19, 2023
Magnesium Supplement – Health Benefits, Side Effects and Dietary Sources
Magnesium is a mineral that plays an important role in many functions, viz - blood pressure regulation, proper muscle and ...
Jan 17, 2023
Top 10 Weight Loss Myths: Debunking Diet Facts and Myths About Food
A weight-loss journey requires a proper goal, dedication, perseverance, and hard work to attain what you set out to achiev...
Dec 20, 2021
Will you gain weight if you stop exercise?
There is never any dearth of advice when it comes to exercise & diet. Sad...
Apr 21, 2021