The amount of energy (calories) that your body needs (burns) in a day is a combination of exercise activity + non-exercise activity + metabolic activity. The non-exercise part of the energy spend is technically know as NEAT.
NEAT or Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis is the amount of energy (calories) spend for everything we do, when we are not sleeping🛌or exercising . It is a substantial part of your total calorie expenditure in a day and hence very important in obesity management too!
All the work that involves walking around such as that of a nurse, trainer, teacher etc involves a reasonable amount of energy spent as NEAT. Here are a few methods to improve your NEAT, if you have a sedentary / desk job-
1) Take the stairs instead of taking the lift, as much as possible
2) If you are talking on the phone for a longer duration, get up and start walking up & down in the room, instead of sitting in a chair and talking
3) Schedule a ‘moving-around’ break for 5 mins, if your job involves sitting somewhere for a longer duration
4) Avoid escalators in the malls and airport, metro/railway stations. Instead, take the steps
5) Shop for the groceries, by yourself instead of ordering through an app or getting it done by a help
You can also use an activity tracker like pedometer to track the steps count.
Published : [email protected] - 02/26/2020
Diabetes Food Chart
There is a lot of myth and half baked information out there on…
Feb 14, 2021
Is Paneer a good protein source? Does Paneer make you fat?
Paneer is an excellent source of protein for vegetarians and is made by…
Feb 26, 2020
Types Of Muscles In The Body
3 types of muscles in the body – Cardiac – the muscle of…
Feb 26, 2020
Fitness, Health & Well Being – How are they different?
Most of us believe that being fit is healthy. But, is that true?
We have seen th...
Apr 9, 2021
Is your child overweight, or overweight?
Is your child over weight or obese? Are you looking for a weight loss plan for your child?
Bur before ...
Apr 8, 2021
Fat cells do not die! They only shrink and is ready for future storage!
YES! You heard that right. When you lose weight or lose body fat after dieting and exercise, you do not lose ...
Mar 5, 2020
Is Diet Coke safe?
Diet Soda has Zero Calories! It can be helpful to quench the sugar cravings for the diabetic population and t...
Mar 1, 2020