The kidney, the powerful chemical factory of the human body is one of the most vital organs. This detox organ is a massive filtration system that removes wastes/ drugs, maintains the body’s fluid balance, regulates the body’s salt, potassium, acid content and even releases hormones that regulate the blood pressure. Kidneys control red blood cell production and even promotes strong and healthy bones by producing an active form of vitamin D.
Every 24 hours, about 200 quarts of fluid is filtered and returned to the bloodstream and the waste is removed in the form of urine. The kidneys work 24*7, for 365 days a year, working throughout our life span with no replacement or shut down period and it is undoubtedly one of the most important aspects of life sustenance.
How to improve Kidney health?
Sedentary lifestyle can cause kidney damage, so maintaining a healthy body weight with ample exercise can keep the lifestyles disorders such as diabetes and blood pressure at bay which in turn will reduce the chances of kidney failure.
Hypertension has an adverse impact on all vital organs including the kidney. When the blood pressure in the kidney is elevated, it can cause inflammation leading to kidney failure or renal hypertension. When the blood vessels are damaged due to smoking, it reduces the blood flow to the kidneys which leads to hypertension.
Blood sugar levels should be maintained by all means because high blood sugar damages the finer elements of the kidney filtration system (Glomerulus) causing the leakage of protein and red blood cells into the urine along with the waste. PROTEINURIA is the condition when urine becomes foamy due to protein or albumin content which will eventually cause damage known as Diabetic Nephropathy.
Drinking plenty of water is most important as it will assist in flushing out the waste including sodium and it will also reduce the chances of kidney stones.
Reducing the intake of NSAID (non-steroid inflammatory drugs) such as aspirin, ibuprofen or any other pain/anti-inflammatory medicine is necessary since continued usage can damage the kidney functions in the long run.
Keeping the protein content in check is yet another major factor since a high protein diet will cause overload and it will only cause further damage to those already having any kind of kidney disease. Kidney damage is usually not detected in the early stages so having a healthy balanced diet and exercise while maintaining the bodyweight is most necessary.
Symptoms of Kidney Damage
Kidney issues are difficult to ascertain as it is often noticed only when there is 70%-80% damage. It is always advisable to have routine check-ups if the person has diabetes, hypertension, recurrent kidney stones, urinary tract infections, uric acid issues etc.
- Edema( swelling on legs) in the evening or periorbital edema (swelling around the eyes)in the morning is a sign of reduced kidney function.
- Increase or decrease in urine output can also be an indicator.
- Changes in urine colour are a sure indicator of a kidney problem. Reddish, brownish urine is an indicator of blood in the urine.
- Difficulty in passing urine or unable to hold it in can also be a symptom.
- Feeling Lethargic throughout the day, uncontrolled weight loss, breathlessness etc are all signs of kidney disorder and it needs urgent attention.
Sodium, potassium, calcium, protein, even meat and veggies, if not taken in moderation is going to cause further complications to the person facing kidney issues. Water intake also plays a major role and it is often advisable to have the screening done on time and to maintain a healthy balanced diet and lifestyle as per the suggestions of the doctor/nutritionist/dietitian. Timely intervention is a must and it will surely help in reversing the damage caused and also reduce the risk of serious kidney ailments or failure.
World Kidney Day 2021 – March 11
The second thursday of March, every year is celebrated as The World Kidney Day. As part of this global campaign, to increase the awareness of kidney heath, NuvoVivo interviewed Dr Sooraj YS, Consultant – Nephrology, Toxicology & Renal Transplantation at Renai Medicity, Kochi
Listen to the interview to know more –
Here are the topics discussed and its timelines –
- Kidney Function – Importance @1:50
- For a common man, how can he know his kidney health needs attention @ 3:35
- Kidney health & Blood Pressure / Hypertension issues @ 6:20
- Diabetes – A Common kidney failure reason@ 7:10
- Kidney health and n-acetyl-cysteine! @ 12:10
- Is Protein bad for kidney? @ 13:10
- Salt intake, bp and kidney issues @ 15:45
- Is rock salt better than the common salt for kidney @ 17:01
- Vegetables to avoid for kidney disease @ 17:50
- How much water to drink for a healthy kidney. what about a person with kidney disease ? @ 19:00
- Kidney Stones! Is calcium the only villain !? @ 21:30
- Dialysis for kidney failure! – Is dialysis for lifetime once it starts? @ 23:37
- In a nutshell, things to do for kidney health! @ 26:20
Kidney Health – A Discussion
NuvoVivo is an online health & wellness company, in the field of medical fitness. We help our clients, who enrol for our online programs from across the world become healthy and manage lifestyle diseases through proper nutrition planning and exercise planning.
Our clients join us to not just lose weight, but also to reverse or manage diseases like – diabetes, cholesterol, thyroid, pcod, fatty liver, uric acid, hypertension, etc!
Here is a short video that explains our program
Published : [email protected] - 03/12/2021
10 Tips to Reverse High Blood Pressure
Hypertension, also known as high blood pressure, is a condition in which the…
Oct 12, 2023
Vitamin B12: Unlocking the Mystery
Vitamin B12, also known as cobalamin, is a water-soluble vitamin, that belongs to…
Sep 9, 2023
Unveiling Pre-workout Compounds: Benefits, Risks, and Considerations
In the dynamic world of sports, fitness and exercise, the quest for enhanced…
Aug 30, 2023